Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Lakeland Florida Revival

There's lots of talk in some circles about the "revival" in Lakeland Florida. I don't know if it is a revival, outpouring or what, but after watching for several nights I am convinced that Jesus is at work.

I experienced the strong presence of the Lord several times, almost overwhelming. My focus was not on Todd Bentley or others "leading" but on Jesus himself. I've experienced a level of intercession and worship that I hadn't experienced before. In a very powerful way I feel like I've met Jesus again.

Is it God? Whatever is of God will stand. Whatever is not of God will not. Revivals tend to be messy business. You have what God is doing, then it gets mixed in with the works of the flesh and unfortunately often the enemy sends in some stuff too. That's why we have to ask God to help us discern what is of him and what is not. Never -Never accept that because some of it is God - all of it must be God. It just doesn't work that way. Remember the parable of the wheat and the tares.

I do know God is doing a mighty work. People who have been sick a long time are getting healed by their own testimony. There are notable miracles where Doctors have said there is no hope and yet God has intervened.

There are hundreds coming to Christ. That is obvioiusly Jesus. I'm sure that Satan is not going to be involved in efforts to lead people to Jesus. This is some of the greatest victory.

While there has been lots of focus on angels and one called Emma in lots of posts, I've not seen that much mentioned of Angels in this revival. I've probably watched about seven or eight nights now. I did hear Todd Bentley mention something of seeing the Angel of the Lord one time and that was to point out a woman to be prayed for. The vast majority of the time, he keeps pointing to Jesus. That's critical.

I know Todd Bentley has gone into some wierd doctrines before, but I haven't seen that happening the nights I've watched. It stayed focus on Jesus the healer, Jesus the saviour, and Jesus our Lord. I think Todd has experienced a change. If so, I'm thankful.

As for some of the physical manifestations people see that seems wierd. Church history is full of it. Some of it is God, some is flesh and probably some is Satan as well. Don't let the physical manifestations of someone else keep you from experiencing what God has for you. Don't focus on them. Focus on Jesus. It's not a show for you to watch.

How do we know that we won't be exposed to deception? If your heart is focused on Jesus. If you honor him and his word you'll be fine. What are you seeking? If it's more of Jesus. That's what you will get.

We have the promise from Luke 11:

9 “So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 11 If a son asks for bread[d] from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

I am not comfortable with everything that has happened in Lakeland. I certainly am not comfortable with all who have been involved. I believe some have had some terrible theology and it concerns me. However, I believe Jesus is there. That's what I'm going for. More of him.
Can I get it sitting at home? Possibly. But there seem to be times when the veil between the Kingdom of God and the Earth seems a little thinner.

So I am going. I want to experience more of his presence.

3 comments:

lynn said...

thanks for this!

I concur; some of the negative things I have heard about Todd and Freshfire made me really sad...but I haven't seen any evidence of the things these people have said and I too have watched HOURS of the revival from an impartial viewpoint.
Sure, some of it *looks* weird but when I am thousands of miles away and feel a rush of excitement and of God's presence while I am watching, I kinda sense there is a holy moment occurring!!
Unchurched people are talking about Jesus here in the UK as one who could just possibly bring hope (thinking about someone with a brain tumour I know who is not a Christian and has heard of miracles and healing. Wants to know more)

That's a risk worth taking, in my book. Too many of us in church are cold, unwelcoming, critical, jealous, suspicious and darn well set in our ways ....as I have been so guilty of too...so if something new is happening I want to be part of it and set aside those tendencies!

I trust God's ability to keep me much more than the devil's ability to harm me :-)

Blessings and peace to you.

John said...

Thanks for stopping by Lynn. Like you, I just believe God has more power to keep me than Satan has to mess me up.

Adam Gonnerman said...

This is a tricky subject. My own movement of churches had part of its origins in the Cane Ridge Revivals of the early 1800s. That was a messy revival, but big. The other group that came together with the Cane Ridge folks later was definitely NOT given to revivalism, and this is perhaps now seen in part in the divisions within the movement.

Good can come from revivals, but not everything is from God. We are called to discern the spirits, not to deny all things spiritual.