Monday, February 11, 2008

Saturday Afternoon with the Homeless - Dallas Street Church 2-9-2008

Saturday afternoon we were blessed to have our COAH (city on a hill) connection partners; Adam and Diana Clay join us on the streets. They are discipling Lou, who came to Christ through the COAH baseball games with the Cuban refugees. Anyway Lou is an excited new believer who is devouring the Word of God. It’s also interesting because Lou is Jewish which really excites me. Anyway, Lou is really beginning to feel like he needs to start doing something for the Lord. (Gotta love that heart). He had been around our guys a couple of times at COAH gatherings and wanted to come downtown.

So at 1:30 they showed up. We all went to Subway and enjoyed a meal, some fellowship, and getting into the Word of God. We studied Acts 21. We had a lot of fun. Along with our COAH friends, I was joined by Kelly, John S., David, Bill, Reggie,Chris and Iting.

Chris started hanging out with us at least for lunch and bible study about three or four weeks ago. Reggie was a young man that Kelly and John had lead to Christ during our Christmas Eve outreach. He really never started showing up to any of our gatherings until last week. He’s been with us two weeks now and really seems to be enjoying himself and his new faith. What really excites me is that the person who is primarily discipling him is John, who we baptized last year. Our guys are beginning to get it. Iting joined us for the first time three Saturday’s ago. She is a Taiwanese evangelist who loves Jesus with all her heart. The Lord told her to start ministering to the homeless in Dallas. She has felt God’s leading to this point to work with our little gathering. She’s bold enough to preach and proclaim to larger groups of people and the obvious joy of Jesus in her life is contagious. Her presence has had a real impact on the guys.

I think it’s time for the Street Church to grow beyond me. I’ve decided to ask other people to come and minister to our little group. But most importantly, I really believe that God wants our guys to learn to give, share and lead in the sharing of God’s word. Next week, Bill will lead our study. He asked what he should share on. I laid hands on him and told him to ask the Lord what he wanted Bill to share and we prayed for Bill that he will hear the Lord.

Then we went out to minister to the homeless. We had socks, some clothes that had been given to me that morning, and about 24 sack lunches. We got to bless people. We prayed for three different people and I had the honor of leading a man to Christ. When everything was done, we gathered and prayed for those we had ministered to that God would seal them, lead them, and guide them. I prayed that God would make sure that Richard, the man I had lead to Christ would be directed to a home church or body, whether it is us or another church. We prayed that God would have someone to disciple and love him into a greater relationship with Jesus.


In addition to everything else, we at the Street Church have the honor of hosting the next COAH gathering of all of the house/simple churches in our network on Easter morning. We began some preliminary thinking and planning for the event on Saturday as well. I really think everyone’s pretty excited about it. I know that I am.

Anyway, God is doing wonderful things in the streets of Dallas and I believe God is leading me to make some adjustments which I believe will result in more people’s lives being touched and more disciples for Jesus.

No comments: